Thursday, March 23, 2006

Is this really worth all the effort?

I'm going to need to decide whether or not I am willing to invest this much time in chess. MDLM's articles suggest a time commitment of 1-2 hours a day. I simply don't have that much time available in my life. Over the years I have seen advice like "play one slow-time match every day," and "spend time every day studying." I've never been able to achieve either.

The other problem I'm noodling right now is where to play. I had signed up on FICS a long time ago and never used the account. I'd really like to use a different user name, but they refuse to change mine and won't let me sign up for a new one....bizarre. I may have a look at ICC or the USCF site.

That's it for now. I really need to start playing.

9 comments:

Temposchlucker said...

Yes, those guys at FICS aren't known for their flexibility:)

Blue Devil Knight said...

ICC is great. I have little trouble finding long time control games. Of course, there is a price for greatness.

Pendrax said...

I actually just figured out that I have time left on my US Chess Live account! I was sure it had expired long ago.

I'll probably try ICC for a week or so as well. Looks interesting.

katar said...

Hey Pendrax,
You seem kinda pessimistic. I mean, even your name is a synonym for "lazy".
I believe that a person's subconscious thoughts have a huge impact on reality. I have had fairly rapid progress in chess and to me, that progress is as much a result of persistence/confidence as anything else.
So everytime you call yourself "slothful" or tell yourself, "it's maybe not worth the effort" or "i'll probably quit after a week", you are stacking the odds against yourself.

Just something to think about. Your words reflect your reality!
Good luck, my friend.

Nezha said...

hello - goodluck on the quest.

Calvin said...

FICS is good. too bad about the username problem. what is it, in case you log on? good luck on the delamaza training, and I hope to see you sometime on FICS.

Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Wishing you all the best on your quest ;-)

Pendrax said...

Thanks for the comments and encouragement!

BlunderProne said...

HAZAH! Let the games begin!