Wednesday, November 01, 2006

CT-Art is on the way

Well, I finally broke down and bought CT-Art. I think trying to find a "free" way to do the circles actually ended up making it too easy for me to excuse lack of progress. Maybe now that I've invested something I'll stick to the program. I know, it's an irrational thing, but, it is what it is and I am what I am. Amazon says it will be here in a couple of days.

The other thing for me to sort out is how to find the time and opportunity to play regularly. The only place I really play much is on FICS because I don't know of a "friendly, neighborhood chess club" nearby. The big Houston club wants $100/yr, and you know how cheap I am!

I wonder if playing all the time on the computer will interfere with my ability to play in real OTB games. I'm very comfortable with a computer-based interface. Since chess is such a "visual" game and depends on rapid pattern recognition, it's plausible that patterns learned on the computer might not transfer to real wood patterns. Has anybody ever looked into this?

Hmm...one step at a time. CT-Art will keep me busy for a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has anybody ever looked into this?

A lot has been said about this in the early days of the Knights. Maybe you can have a look. For me it was very difficult to adapt to a screen. I was about 70-100 points better OTB. Most internet based players have dificulty the other way around.
Besides that, OTB has a few other factors like psychology, writing down moves, talking spectators etc. which you don't have on the net.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to pop by and say thank you for offering help to a low-tech guy with some high-tech predicaments. I managed to solve it in the end.

Sincerely

/Chris