Sunday, November 26, 2006

An Opening Obsession

"Turkey Week" has not been very helpful to my study discipline...but wait...I have no discipline! Of course, that explains everything!

I've dropped a full week behind my schedule by not looking at CT-Art all week. The good news is I'm back on the treadmill again and intend to stick with it this week. One week at a time is the best I can muster at this point!

I've been worrying some about my "opening repertoire," or lack thereof. Everything about the tactics-tactics-tactics approach to chess improvement implies that I should simply learn the first 2-3 moves of a couple of reasonable openings and then wing it from there. I'm not a strong enough player to need dozens of moves of theory memorized. I'll leave a piece hanging and toss any advantage I might have built up anyway. However, I still fiddle around and fuss over getting the opening right. I really should just get over it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you explain what Turkey week is for your non US readers? Something to do with Thanksgiving (whatever that may be)?

Pendrax said...

Of course, not especially thoughtful of me to speak in "Americode" is it! In the US this past week was the Thanksgiving public holiday, a time characterized by the excessive consumption of turkey. The effects of substantial turkey intake are well documented in the Internet (at HowStuffWorks, Wikipedia, Chemistry.org, and even at Snopes) so must be real! In any case, it's a slothful time that appeals nicely to my basic nature...so I got little accomplished all week.